We help nations securely and efficiently manage the flow of people across their borders.
Our Border Management solution addresses the full range of business processes required and allows border control and immigration management to be implemented separately or together as a complete Solution.
Our solution allows border control agencies to process both arriving and departing travelers in a wide range of contexts at air, land, and sea ports; at both manned immigration desks and automated immigration gates.
By adhering to best practice immigration processes and state-of-the-art technology, Daon facilitates “extending the border” practices by allowing passenger processing to be performed at offshore locations and on vehicles and vessels using mobile terminals, and by facilitating advanced analysis of passenger data. Complete integration of biometric verification and document authentication technologies allows for simultaneous improved security and increased throughput.
We enable best practice immigration processes through state-of-the-art technologies at central and regional immigration offices, as well as on overseas missions. Our solution leverages biometric technology to prevent identity fraud while enabling efficient and secure visa issuing, plus permanent residency and citizenship processes. The solution also supports a range of immigration enforcement functions.
In recent years more countries have joined the EU and US in requiring all visitors to hold an electronic passport with some form of biometric identifier included to gain access through their borders.
This new generation of electronic passport with its complex security features has forced nations to consider migrating to a new system or upgrading an existing one. Whichever path is chosen there are a multitude of options to consider before settling on one particular technology or provider. Daon’s ePassport solution is future proof, scalable and extensible.
Daon provides an open, vendor independent COTS technology that is capable of securely capturing and storing ICAO compliant biometric data in a central repository for later use in producing an ePassport. Our flexible technology stack is ideal for customers who want to combine best of breed identity technologies and leverage existing investment in such technology.
Daon provide seamless application level security infrastructure that assures the integrity of biometric and biographic data, irrespective of the security of the underlying network. Confidentiality of biometric data is ensured by the Daon infrastructure. This is achieved by encrypting all biometric information, both in transit and at rest. The Daon solution provides an extensive library of 120+ critical business services that support the ePassport enrolment and issuance processes.
Daon’s solution for a typical ePassport system employs a multi-tier architecture, where the front-end applications (Enrollment Application) communicate through a middleware service request processor (DaonEngine) to the back-end services (existing and new national and international applications and services), a biometric matching technology for central identification and verification, and the integration to ePassport issuance system.
Our solutions deliver the following key functionality:
- Register/Enroll: Each individual that has chosen to register for new or renewed ePassport and that has not been previously enrolled with biometric information, will have their finger prints, photographic image and biographic data captured and transmitted to the central application.
- Identification (de-dupe): Our solution verifies that the individual being processed has not already being processed (issued with another ePassport under an alternative name or alias), via the use of finger print biometric matching capability. Other biometric modalities are support such as facial portrait matching and iris matching.
- Identity Management & Secure Central Storage: All biographic and biometric data of each individual enrolled in the system is stored securely in a central database that is managed by DaonEngine, and accessed by the client enrollment applications, the back end matching services, and the passport issuing system.
For close to a decade, Daon has been implementing biometric eVisa and Immigration systems for Immigration Agency clients using our core platform products combined with a wealth of related subject matter expertise.
Daon has delivered solutions in this space globally and count among our clients the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection, US Department of Homeland Security (US Visit) and Immigration New Zealand
Daon has a rich heritage in the delivery of Identity at Event Model and Identity Centric Model identity solutions. In the eVisa and Immigration space, Daon also works with our clients to deliver hybrid models where each subject is uniquely identified within the system and has a master “best information available” record, but also has a set of encounters (also uniquely identified) linked to that record and which are searchable and retrievable.
Our solutions give the Immigration Agency the ability to confirm a subject’s identity with confidence at each step in their engagement, for example, the initial visa application, interview, medical check, departure check, arrival at border check and then all internal county business transactions with the immigration government agency.
The Confidentiality, Integrity and Security of captured biometric data is an often quoted concern for Visa applicants when required to present their biometrics for collection. Once a consideration for only citizen data, privacy is now also becoming a concern for non-citizen data. The traditional approach of handling citizen and non-citizen data differently is shifting towards consistently applying the appropriate protections to all persons of interest. Our solutions benefit from DaonEngine’s secure management of data at rest, in transit through solution subcomponents as well as during interaction with external systems. DaonEngine offers security in the context of system configuration and system handing with tamper resistance audit trails facilitating strong evidence and non-repudiation of system use.
Daon’s eVisa and Immigration solutions are multi biometric, enabling:
- Purpose fitting: Biometric modes vary in their accuracy, speed of matching, acquisition process and licensing costs. An architecture which supports multiple biometrics allows the most appropriate biometric to be used for the purpose at hand. For example, iris recognition on the move may be the best solution where throughput is critical.
- Universality: Every biometric mode has some measurable failure to enrol rate. An architecture that supports multiple biometrics broadens the population that can be processed biometrically. For example, a person without fingers can still be processed using facial recognition.
- Availability: Enrolled samples of certain biometric modes may be more readily available than other types. For example, capturing and checking only fingerprints against a watch list may be of limited use if certain critical watch lists contains only photos of the persons of interest.
- Accuracy: For one to many checks against large databases, even highly accurate biometrics produce significant false match and false non-match rates. Using multiple biometrics and fusing the results can significantly reduce these errors.
- Future Proofing: Biometric technology is still a rapidly developing area of technology with new biometric modes likely to mature over the coming decade. A multi-modal architecture allows the border management system to leverage these improvements.
- Security: Using multiple biometric modes can significantly increase the difficulty of spoofing the systems. For example, consider the difference in difficulty between spoofing an automated immigration gate which uses only fingerprints and the same gate using both fingerprints and facial recognition.
The logical architecture below shows how Daon typically presents its Visa application solutions for front end biometric encounter applications and backend biometric specific middleware and messaging. Together this represents a pre-integrated, secure, performant and ready-to-deploy service delivery platform that has repeatedly been selected by government.
Finally, our eVisa and Immigration solutions have an inherent technical capability for standards based interoperability. Combined this technical capability with Daon’s related subject matter expertise we are ideally placed to assist Immigration Agencies with the growing challenge of Whole of Government, Regional and International, Data Exchange.